I am a Professor of Linguistics at the Centre for Linguistics at Jawaharlal Nehru University, and a translator and activist. On this site, you can find my CV, downloadable slides/ handouts of my teaching and research talks/papers, translations (from English to Hindustani and Hindi/Urdu to English), as well as links to my interventions on public issues.
- 2023. Elected Corresponding Fellow, British Academy, 20 July.
- 2013. Infosys Prize in Humanities–Linguistics (watch citation in video here). See also my interview in Indian Linguistics.
- 2012. British Academy Visiting Scholar at the University of Essex.
- 2008. New India Foundation Fellowship.
- 1990. University Grants Commission Junior Research Fellowship.
- 1988. Principal’s Prize, Lady Shri Ram College.